Times of financial struggle and the possibility of bankruptcy may be complicated by the need to address significant global tax issues. Our senior team is well-equipped to manage the breadth and complexity of the tax taxpayers face during a pending bankruptcy or post-emergence.
A bias toward action.
Throughout the restructuring process, we work to strategically and effectively resolve tax matters. We can serve as needed as an interim outsourced tax department or in a co-sourced capacity to address your company’s ongoing tax needs.
At your side, on your side.
Our experienced restructuring and bankruptcy tax professionals work with debtors, creditors, creditor committees, hearing examiners, potential acquirers, investors and sellers on behalf of distressed companies, in bankruptcy and out-of-court restructuring.
Restructuring and pre-bankruptcy-related services:
- Assist in evaluating the tax aspects of out-of-court restructuring options
- Assist with legal entity rationalization planning to simplify structure, remove costs and package unwanted assets for carve-out / disposition
- Conduct carve-out / sell-side planning involving restructuring unwanted and/or fire-sale assets
- Analyze the tax aspects of settling intercompany debt accounts
- Analyze material tax attributes and assess the availability of, and limitations on, such attributes
- Act as interim tax department management
- Assess the need for tax-related first day orders
- Analyze material tax attributes for current and prospective periods, including the development of detailed tax models and attribute preservation
- Analyze timing and impact of cancellation of indebtedness income
- Prepare tax basis balance sheets
- Conduct legal entity simplification / rationalization
- Analyze the impact of existing tax sharing agreements
- Assist with international / global tax planning related to foreign source income, cash repatriation and minimizing withholding tax obligations
- Assist with the various bankruptcy emergence-related matters
- Prepare and/or manage required tax filings
- Perform tax jurisdiction audit management functions
- Assist with analyzing the tax aspects of employee benefits / plans and incentive programs