Mr. Gupta brings significant experience of assisting clients in distress situations:
• Advised shareholders of a large KSA electronic goods distributor and retailer (2015 revenue of SAR 1.4bn) on how to optimize shareholder value in a fast deteriorating business;
• On behalf of a Qatar based lender, conducted a forensic financial review on a UAE ship chartering company, reviewed forecast financials and presently monitoring the business performance against the approved budget for 2016;
• In 2014 -15, acted as the Chief Restructuring Officer at a large publicly listed Indian Shipyard, with debt of over US$2bn+. Mr. Gupta and his team, monitored the implementation of lender approved restructuring plan and developing additional improvements to the plan including identification and sale of non-core assets and cost reduction initiatives;
• Acted as the Chief Restructuring Officer for a real estate and infrastructure support services company in India. Aligned cost structure to lower revenues, significantly improved their liquidity situation and assisted in bringing new investors;
• Other notable assignments include: advising a U.K.-based lender about the possibility for recovering debt it provided to a UAE-based real estate ancillary business; recommending restructuring, liquidity improvement and cost reduction solutions for a diversified real estate portfolio ($1.5 billion) of a Kuwait Investment House; assisting the CFO of a $250 million turnover pharmacy retail and wholesale business in KSA to improve cash management; and leading the finance and operations team at a large UAE-based brokerage business.
Previously, Mr. Gupta worked in India and Southern Africa with SABMiller Plc, a leading global brewer and bottler of Coca Cola Company. At SABMiller his responsibilities increased from managing assignments in finance function to managing post-merger integration of a $250mn business to a general management role in South Africa. In Africa, he successfully led planning and execution of various business turnaround plans.
Previously, Mr. Gupta was with A. F. Ferguson and Co., where he designed business processes in the Finance department of a national power company in India. He led and was part of several statutory and internal audit assignments.
Mr. Gupta earned a master’s degree in business administration from London Business School and is also a Qualified Chartered Accountant. At London Business School, he co-founded the Turnaround Management Club and led the club to significant success in the very first year of its formation.